Hand Feed and Bottle Feed Animals
About the races
Each year in September the Caragabal Country Club hosts the Sheep Races. This is a fantastic event for the community and visitors with up to six races and the chance to bid for and own your own sheep for a race. Here is some of what is on offer:
There are great prizes for winners of each race (see how to get involved below)
Music from 6pm
There is a bar area (no BYO allowed).
Kids entertainment (including a giant sandpit, lolly drop from a plane, and jumping castle)
BBQ and canteen.
Fun for the kids
The sheep races are a fantastic day for the kids. With a jumping castle, merry go round, lolly drop from a plane and of course chasing the sheep down the race track, you can be assured they will have a great time. For the big kids, there are sweeps, auctions and a full bar.
If you would like to hire a marquee for the event, these can be hired out. To hire a marquee contact Karen on 0400809166. Drinks packages can also be arranged.
Where we are
Caragabal is a small village located on the mid western highway between Grenfell and West Wyalong in NSW. The races are hosted at the Caragabal Country Club which is located on the western outskirts of the village. You can't miss it!
Admission: Gates open at 11am
Adult - $10 School Aged Child - $5 Under 5 - Free
Everyone is welcome to camp overnight on the Friday and/or Saturday night of the sheep races on our spacious golf course. The porta-loos will be available for campers on both nights. Here are some tips for those thinking about camping:
- The Golf Club will be open on Friday night for beverages and a meal.
- You will need your own water and there is no electricity available.
- Campfires are permitted.
- No pets unless they can be secured in your campsite for the duration (we don't want to spook the sheep!)
- There is plenty of space, so camp away from others and be courteous to other campers.
- This is a family event, not a B&S... so please act accordingly.
How to get involved on the day:
Buy a sweep ticket
For only $2 you can have your own part of the action. Here’s how it works:
1. In the time leading up to a race, buy a $2 sweep ticket from our roving sellers.
2. Just before the race, if your name is drawn out you become the Sweep Owner of a sheep.
3. If your sheep comes 1st or 2nd you get the same prize money as the real sheep owner! ($50 for 1st and $30 for 2nd)
4. You don’t get to keep your sheep for the final, BUT, you can buy sweep tickets for the final (still for $2), which will give you a chance to win $500 prize money!!!!!!
Buy a Sheep in the Auctions
Before each race we will auction off all of the sheep. If you purchase a sheep it becomes yours for that race AND THE FINAL (if it makes it). This means that by purchasing a sheep you have the chance to win $500 prize money in the final and $50 in its race.
Please Note: You don’t get to keep the sheep.
What to Bring
There are a few things to bring along that will make your day even more enjoyable:
- Portable shade such as an umbrella
- Picnic rug and chairs
- Cash althought EFTPOS is available intermittently throughout the day at the club house
BYO alcohol is strictly prohibited. Food and drinks are available through out the day at various stalls.
Our generous sponsors for 2021 are: